Thursday, November 28, 2013

Finished Chunky Cowl

Here is the finished cowl I made my friend, and some different ways to wear it. Of course, it fits differently on a BODY than on a flat hanger ... but this gives you the idea.


Even though I slipped the first peg on every row - which gives the selvedges a nice edge - I decided to do a single crochet all the way around the cowl. I like the way it firms up and really finished off the edges.


I added three buttons, so she can button all three  - or two - or even just one of them. There are no buttonholes as the buttons fit in the 'yarn-overs' anywhere she wants to put them through.




The photo below is the perfect example at how it will look much better on a real person.


It's soft and snuggly and it was made with love ... I hope she gets lots of wear out of it.

Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. I have been looking for something like this to make for my mom. I love how wide it is. Great Job1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! I too am Karen and have just stumbled across this amazing blog! I am so happy that I did because I have just been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and because I have a lot of down time now I wanted to teach myself how to loom. I just love the cowl above and was wondering where I could find this pattern along with a pattern for the black mens winter hat that is somewhere on this blog? If I have to buy it I will be more than happy to. You do lovely work!
    Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen - thanks so much for the lovely comments and I'm so happy to have you here. Unfortunately I don't have patterns for either this cowl or the hat ... but if you are just beginning to loom knit I'd highly suggest doing a search on YouTube for Mikey's loom knitting projects. I think he mostly does crochet now, but he has quite a few videos that show you how to make loom knit hats with rolled brims and how to cast on and SO much more. Also, check the right side of my blog where you will see lots of other loom knitting blogs to check out and many of them have patterns.
      Let me know if I can help with anything else
      Cheers
      Karen

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous and just the project I've been looking for. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I hope you have fun making it.
    Cheers
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I'm new to loom knitting and I'm hooked. I hope to be able to do this project in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! This looks like a great candidate for family Christmas presents this year. What is the stitch pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie - I checked back through the blog, and found the original "Work In Progress post: http://knittingwithlooms.blogspot.ca/2013/11/chunky-cowl-work-in-progress.html. Looks like I didn't have a pattern, instead working with a series of e-wrapped rows, purled rows and yarn-over tows. One pattern I use a LOT is the 'Waves of Lace' shawl by Lisa Sawyer and you can find that here http://loomknittingdesigns.com/patterns_wavesofLace.html
      I'm sure I used a version of her stitch sequence for this cowl.
      Thanks for the comment!
      Cheers
      Karen

      Delete
  7. This is beautiful. Love the different ways it can be worn.

    ReplyDelete