Sunday, August 25, 2013

WIP - Mobius Shawl

Hello friends and followers!

I know, I know - it's been a l-o-n-g time since I posted. I've been busy with summer stuff I guess, and not all that interested in loom knitting. Like most things, I have to feel inspired or it just doesn't work out.

I'm inspired now though, and have a Work In Progress to share today ...


Look how pretty the pattern is!  I'm making the Mobius Shawl by Anne Bipes, in the book "Learn New Stitches on Circle Looms".  This is a book I have had for a very long time, and I have wanted to try this pattern out since I got the book!  Finding this pretty yarn on clearance was the kick in the pants my mojo needed to get going ...


I have my yarn in the dollar store basket, threaded through one of the holes. That keeps the yarn from jumping and bouncing around and picking up dog hair. I'm also keeping my looming tool in the basket ON the kitchen table so Jasper can't get it.   :-)


The project is knitting up quite quickly - but I'm not entirely sure I have enough yarn. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. You have a good start on a beautiful project, Karen! Anne Bipes is fantastic! When I discovered loom knitting in late 2006, I learned all the foundations of loom knitting from her stitch and instructional guides. Sadly, I'm not sure those are available anymore since her loomknitting.com instructional site is now closed. However, her Loom Knitting blog has a wealth of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are still taking messages.
    I have been trying to make the same Möbius Shawl from the (Learn New Stitches-Circle Looms book). I can't figure out how to make the twist.

    I was hoping you may have done a video while making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ... sorry, but I don't do video's at all. There may be video's showing a mobius twist COWL out there though. Basically, you would normally join the cast on edge ( say A at the top and B at the bottom) with the cast off edge ( C at the top and D at the bottom). If you join A to C and B to D you have a circle or a loop. To do the Mobius twist, you just twist the piece, so now you are joining A to D, and B to C. When you add a Mobius twist to a cowl it hangs so much nicer ... and the shawl stays on your shoulders because of the twist. This is also why you need to use a pattern that is double sided - because when you twist it you are turning the 'wrong side' to the outside. I hope this makes sense! I still use this shawl especially in the house, on chilly days. Keeps my shoulders warm but my arms free.

      Delete