Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Mom's Short Poncho

I finished my Mom's poncho, and quickly took these pictures with my iPhone so I could give it to her right away. 


When we talked about colours, she said she wanted something pink, and bright ... something with COLOUR.  I think this yarn, Charisma in the colour Chocolate Cupcake fit the bill perfectly. 


 LOVING the stitch sequence too ... as I mentioned in yesterday's post, I did 2 rows of Brenda Myer's 'Double Flat Knit' stitch, 1 row of 'Yarn Overs' and a row of Purls.  I found the piece needed the purl rows to prevent curling.  In fact I loved the pattern so much, I have another one started! I left it out at our cabin though, and will work on it when we are out there. I'm using a #1 weight for that one, so it's going to take awhile to finish.  This Charisma yarn is a #5 weight, so there is quite a difference.  I'll take pictures the next time we are there, when you can actually see the fabric below the bottom of the loom.


She can wear it as an asymmetrical poncho, or turn the seam to the front and wear it when watching TV to keep her arms cozy warm.  I think these would be a wonderful gift to make for someone in the hospital, too.  You can turn the neck edges over to form a bit of a collar when you wear it this way. 


Now I know I'm going to get questions as to how I made this, so here is a quick explanation.


Short Poncho, by Karen Aicken

You basically knit a long rectangle - similar to a shawl. How long you make it, and how wide you make it is up to you, your size, how wide your shoulders and or bust are, what yarn you use, and what loom you use.  Each one I've made has different measurements and uses different stitch pattern and sequences.  Cast off when you are happy with the length. It's helpful to drape it from one shoulder to the other to get a feel for how long you want it, and keep adding length until it feels right.

Lay your rectangle right side facing up, with the long edges at the top and bottom. The cast on edge is on one side and the cast off edge on the opposite.  Now, fold the rectangle in half by bringing the cast on edge over to the cast off edge.  Seam the two pieces together, from the TOP CORNER to about half way across. NOTE ... You are leaving the cast on and cast off edges free, only catching that top corner of both then working your way across what is now the top of your rectangle.

Again, I use the half-way point as a guideline - it depends on how wide you want your head opening and how much drape is in your yarn.

I love these short ponchos. I enjoy the asymmetrical look to them, I love how easy they are to pull on, they are fairly easy and fast to make, and they are warm & cozy.  I've made six of them now and have a 7th on a loom. 

Mom seemed to really like hers, and I know she will get a lot of use out of it.

Thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

  1. Simply gorgeous,Karen!! I love the way the stitch pattern worked out. The poncho wrap is such an elegant design. My MIL may be getting one of those for Christmas. About how many skeins of the Charisma yarn did it require?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda! I believe it used 3 full skeins of the Charisma yarn. I didn't do an edging on it though, or another skein would have been required.
      Cheers, Karen

      Delete
  2. HI
    I love your ponchos, where can I get the patterns? Thank you
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI
    I love your ponchos, where can I get the patterns? Thank you
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol ... I don't have a pattern, but if you read the post I do give you instructions. Hope that helps.
      Karen

      Delete
  4. I would gladly buy this pattern. Would you consider giving more detailed pattern instructions? Or maybe a youtube?
    Thanks, Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but other than the instructions that I have written in the blog post, that is all I have. I didn't have a pattern myself - I just sorta figured it out as I went along. As for the video - I don't do YouTube videos. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to go about it!

      Delete