Monday, April 22, 2013

Textured Cowl

I have another WIP (Work In Progress) to share today ...

 

I saw this colour of yarn (Montery Lime) and no way I could leave it behind. In fact, I only bought a single skein and once I got going on this I knew it wasn't going to be quite enough and I had to go back and buy a 2nd. I picked up a third, just for good measure.  :-)


I am LOVING the way it's turning out! 

Here is how I'm doing it ...


Textured Cowl by Karen Aicken

Crochet cast on 16 pegs.  All knit stitches are E-wrap.

Slip (skip/ignore/don't work) the first stitch, Knit 2 pegs and purl 1 peg.  *Knit 3 pegs and purl 1* across to the last 4 pegs, which are knit.

Repeat.  :-)  Don't you love a single row repeat?  I know I do.  The purl stitch moves over 1 peg with the 2nd row, and back to the first position with the 3rd rowetc etc. This gives you these lovely seed stitch rows in between the knit ones for fabulous texture without having to count the knits and purls as you would normally for the seed stitch.

I first discovered this stitch sequence by accident when I was working on a doll blanket for my Granddaughter (see THIS post).  I knew I wanted to use it again and this lovely, soft chunky yarn is perfect.


Tips:  I do a 'Half Hitch' stitch at the end of every row. I just like the clean edge this gives just like slipping the first stitch of each row.

          I also do all my e-wraps without knitting over until the end of the row. So I e-wrap the 3 pegs, purl one, then just continue on e-wrapping the next three etc. When I have reached the end of the row, I go back and lift over all the loops for the e-wrap stitches.

I found it's a good way to know where the purl stitches need to be, without having to count every peg on every row.  I like to knit 'mindlessly', ha ha.

I will just knit this until I think it's long enough, and will post those pictures when it's done. It won't be until the middle of May though, we are going to have some house guests this week ... then more and then more! Our Nephew is getting married so I have to get going on my dressy shawl as I plan on wearing it over my dress to the wedding.

Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

  1. Could you please explain your first tip about doing a half stitch at the end of each row? I am making this cowl right now and am actually using the exact same yarn. It looks great but the edges curl slightly instead of laying flat. I am assuming that is what the 'half stitch' helps avoid. I love this pattern! Could you please help me out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how to properly explain the Half Hitch, I learned it from some of the patterns I've purchased, so I can't just copy and paste the instructions for you. Maybe try to Google it?
      Here is one You Tube video on the Half Hitch, although she is using it as in Increase stitch it still shows the technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJpbwZLzZg
      ... and here is another, showing it as a Cast On:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWDsFlLsrpM
      Hope this helps,
      Cheers, Karen

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I will check these out. I am already one skein completed on this one so I'll try it different on the next one. I also just noticed while trying to find this post again that you have another variation of this cowl using some purl stitches at the beginning of the row (something like that). I love the way that one looks. Thanks for posting these and thanks for responding so quickly. You do beautiful work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen this is now my favorite scarf/cowl stitch pattern. Nothing makes me happier than mindless knitting (me too!) that looks beautiful and intricate.Thank you so much for sharing it. What blocking technique did you use for this 100% acrylic yarn? I prefer the variation but with the knit stitches at both edges, but I knew it would curl. Did you pin and spray lightly? My scarf is Minneapolis Purple but I also picked up the Monterey Lime because it's so gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw on the post with the finished pieces that you wet blocked, But now I'm wondering if crocheting around the edges is far more important for the curling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey - I generally like to add a crochet border, but that's simply a matter of taste. Whether or not I block it depends on the project and the yarn used. To keep the edges from curling I add a border right in the knit piece, or alternate knit and purl stitches as I did on this piece. Hope that helps!
      Cheers, Karen

      Delete