Thursday, April 25, 2013

Dressy Shawl for a Wedding ... WIP

Here is ANOTHER Work In Progress ... I told you my looms are almost always busy. I like to have more than one project on the go at t time, especially if some projects are going to take awhile to complete. Like this dressy shawl.


I'm using this lovely SOFT mohair like yarn from Ice Yarns and the largest, yellow Knifty Knitter knitting loom.  The stitch sequence is one that I have used often (e-wrap 3 pegs, skip one) but I don't know if I would have used such a thin yarn if George Crawford from the Goodknit Kisses Facebook group hadn't used it to make his lovely 'Grass shawls'.  He uses a Grass yarn from Ice ... I have some of that in my stash now, but this shawl had to take priority as the wedding is coming up fast!


In order to make the peg count work with this knitting loom, I am e-wrapping the first four pegs and the last 4 pegs ... and the rest of the loom is done with the 'e-wrap 3, skip 1' sequence. I could have done it using 3 pegs throughout and just not used those last two pegs, but I wanted this to be as large as possible.

It's actually working up quickly, and with the nubby bits it has a bit of shimmer & shine. I think it will be perfect - the dress I bought is shades of blue, grey and cream.  The dress is sleeveless, and I don't want to be in the church with no sleeves. A lacy looking, LIGHTweight shawl will be perfect.

Thanks for stopping by.



9 comments:

  1. Hello Karen,

    I was curious to know how many balls you used for this beautiful dressy shawl, please?

    Thanks & Happy Friday!
    Meech Harrigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meech! I looked in the post following this one, and it says I used two skeins of this yarn since the stitch is so open. Hope this helps,
      Cheers, Karen

      Delete
  2. Karen did you have a cast on and a cast off? I didn't see any mention of it and I thought you always needed those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, you do need a cast-on and a cast-off. For this stitch sequence, because there are so many skipped pegs - I would have just e-wrapped the indicated pegs and skipped the others. When I got to the end of the row, I would have turned it and e-wrapped the e-wrapped pegs and skipped the skipped pegs. Lift the loop over the e-wrapped stitch. That is the cast on!
    For casting off, I would have cast-off the e-wrapped stitches and done nothing with the skipped ones.
    Hope that helps,
    Cheers, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen!

    I'm hopeful for your advice. In one of your articles you mentioned that when making a cowl you bind it off & then stitch it together off the loom. I hope you can share how you do this.

    I'm making 70-inch Infiniti
    scarves using a Modified Diamond stitch. I'm using 16 Pegs with slipped edges on a 5/8" loom.

    I make items for gifts mostly & aim to make my work as beautiful as possible.

    I'm hoping my note reaches you!

    Christine
    cward93021@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen!

    I am hopeful for your advice. In one of your articles you mentioned that when making a cowl you bind it off & then stitch it together off the loom. I hope you can share how you do this.

    I'm making a 70-inch Infinity scarf using a Modified Diamond stitch. I'm using 16 stitches with slipped edges on a 5/8" loom.

    I make items for gifts mostly & aim to make my work as beautiful as possible.

    I'm hoping my note reaches you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cowl sounds lovely and whoever you make it for will surely appreciate the work you put in it. There are videos on joining knit pieces on YouTube that you can search for - it would be the same for loom knit pieces. I learned how to bind off from YouTube as well. If I'm stitching my cowl rather than working in the round, I knit it as long and as wide as I would like. I would suggest making it even longer - then you can do a mobius twist (again, do a Google search as it's too hard to explain and easy peasy to do) which makes them lay nicer against your chest - like an infinity cowl. If it is just going to be a single 'loop' I just hold the loom knit piece (that has been cast off) right sides together and stitch the open edges together. That gives me a loop or circle piece. Hope that helps. Cheers, Karen

      Delete
    2. Karen: Your advice was very welcome! I'm loving the way I'm finishing my scarves now.

      Thanks again from California!
      Christine Ward

      Delete
    3. I'm so happy that it worked! Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete