Saturday, March 2, 2013

Never Ending Granny Square

I can't believe it, but I am tackling a crochet afghan.   Crochet!   But Michael Sellick has these wonderful YouTube video's and I just couldn't get the idea out of my head. I started following Michael's video's when I started loom knitting as he has lots of great tutorials for beginners. When I stumbled onto his 'Never Ending Granny Square Afghan' video I was completely intrigued.


Now I'm completely addicted to it - the pattern is easy and it's so meditative! However, I can only do a row or two at a time, as it really bothers my arm. There is no fear I will give up my loom knitting!


Homespun yarn is so nice & soft, that initially I thought I'd make this afghan for my Mom. But with all the double crochet it's fast becoming one HEAVY blanket ... not the best for her. I'm in love with the colours though, so I will happily complete the project (at some point) for US and loom knit one for her. One that is just as pretty but much lighter in weight.


These fibrecraft hobbys are highly addictive, and maybe should come with some kind of warning.  ;-)

Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful Karen. I still remember making a shawl like this, my grandmother showed me how. Thanks for all the lovely comments on the new ebook. I hope you enjoy the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, maybe use sock yarn to create the afghan for your mom? That should make it lighter (although also a little more fragile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, that is a great idea! Fragile wouldn't be a problem and it would be much lighter. She is a tiny woman. Thanks!!
      Cheers, Karen

      Delete
  3. Karen is the Never Ending Granny Square blanket loom knitted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jo. No, as mentioned in the post it is a crochet pattern. You could look online for the 5 (or 10) stitch blanket pattern which is loom knit. I have never made one, that is why I can't remember if its 5 or 10 stitches!

      Delete