Saturday, February 16, 2013

3 Strand Cream Hat WIP

Back in early December, Renee Van Hoy posted a neat trick on her blog Invisible Loom Innovative Patterns for Looms.  It is referred to as "Navajo Knitting", where you can take one strand of a fingering weight yarn and triple it for when you need a bulky yarn. She also posted THIS link if you want more information.

I have finished my cream Lacy Infinity Scarf (photos coming soon) and decided I wanted a hat to go with it. I certainly had enough yarn left but it was far too thin to use a Knifty Knitter loom. So, I tried the Navajo Knitting method and ... it worked like a charm! Here is my next Work In Progress (WIP)


I like the size of hats using the green Knifty Knitter as they just fit my head better. For this one I did a ribbing band (e-wrap two pegs, purl two pegs) then switched to the 'Waves of Lace*' stitch for the remainder of the hat.

One strand of this Bernat Baby Softee yarn is nice and soft - but THREE? Wow - probably the softest thing I've ever made. I'll post pictures when the hat is finished too.

*This is a stitch I learned when I purchased Lisa Sawyers 'Waves of Lace' shawl pattern. You can purchase it HERE.  I have not made her shawl, but I have used this stitch sequence on my last bunch of loomed projects and I love it.

A few weeks ago, Kristen Magnus of GoodKnit Kisses made a YouTube Video showing the same method I used here, calling it 'how to make 3 strands from 1 ball'.  You can see that video HERE.

Thanks for stopping by.





2 comments:

  1. Do you have a pattern for this? I would love to make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne. No, I don't have a pattern - I normally just 'wing it' when I make hats as they are so easy. Choose a stitch for your brim - I usually do Garter but sometimes (like for this hat) I used the Rib Stitch. Then pick a stitch to do the body of the hat, and I tend to use whatever my newest favourite stitch or stitch sequence is from larger pieces I've been looming. This one uses the stitch sequence from a purchased pattern called Waves of Lace Shawl as I mention in the post. Knit in the round until the hat is the desired height then bind off. There are lots of tutorials online so I don't attempt to give lessons. Those tutorials are far better than I could do. If you are thinking you need a pattern so you know how deep to make the hat, remember that even using a pattern your hat could come out differently depending on how loose your loom knit stitches are. That's why I just wing it. Hope that helps.

      Delete