Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Loom Knit Mens Hats

Today's share is actually a 'copy and paste' from my other blog, Altered Scrapbooking. Initially I was posting my knit projects there - but decided that it was too much for the loom knitters to have to scroll through all my cards and papercrafts to find a project and started up this blog instead. I may or may not move those projects over to this blog, but if you are curious you can click on 'Knifty Knitter' on the right hand side of that blog, under LABELS. That should bring up my earlier pieces.


Since I'd quickly become addicted to knitting with looms, I gave everyone a loom knit hat / toque for Christmas last year. It was fun choosing the yarn(s) for each person, and changing each hat just a little. Of course, the earlier ones are far more basic than the latter as I learned new stitches and tried new things on my own.



Some of these have double knit brims for extra warmth, some have longer brims that can be rolled up as needed, or pulled down to keep the ears and back of the neck warm.  

Everyone seemed to like them, so that made me happy.

Now I keep a notebook handy and jot down information on what yarn/loom/stitches I use on each project. Wish I had started doing that at the start, as I get questions on how I made a certain loom knit piece and I can't remember!  Haha, I do tend to 'fly by the seat of my pants' a fair bit.

Happy New Year to all my blogging friends and fellow loom knitters. Thanks for stopping by.

11 comments:

  1. Hi, I have recently started using a sock loom and am having trouble with finding out how many stitches I need. I was also thinking of one like yours and wonder if you could tell me what size (how many hooks) I would need to do hats for (a) female and (b) male. Or would it just depend on yarn used. I want to do one of those hats which are 'baggy' as my friend has asked for one.
    PS: what stitch do you use?
    I find it very frustrating when you are threading the yarn on and suddenly it all springs off! Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments and questions. I haven't had a sock loom very long and at this point I have not made any socks. But I did make a dishcloth and really like how it turned out. Usually when I make dishcloth's I use the smallest Knifty Knitter loom (round) and two strands of the cotton yarn held together as one, but with the fine pegs on the sock loom I only needed one strand.

      To make the hats for both men and women, I used the same loom - the 2nd largest Knifty Knitter that comes in the set of 4. The 3rd largest is the size I use for children's hats. Changing the size does really depend on the loom, but I also found that the brim can make a difference in the size too. This is where playing with the different brims can come in handy and there are lots of YouTube videos out there. That is how I learned - and with practice I came up with lots of ideas on my own.
      If you check on YouTube you will also find some loom knit slouch hats, which is I think what your friend is looking for. I made one recently (it's on my blog) and will make another using a different stitch.
      I use lots of different stitches in my looming, I am always searching for new patterns, videos, and looming books - and I belong to a couple of loom knit groups (Yahoo).
      The hats above all used different combinations of the e-wrap stitch and the purl stitch.
      As for the yarn spring off your pegs? The best solution is not to wrap the whole row before you knit off that bottom loom. I tend to wrap about 3 pegs, lift off the bottom loop on those 3 pegs, then wrap the next 3 pegs. When making hats, this is the best way to avoid a 'ladder' looking strip going up the length of the hat.
      Hope this helps!
      Cheers, Karen

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to read your last paragraph Karen. I was trying to manage 10 and also found that if you use the hook to guide the wool over, it was easier but less convenient, as you were using both hands, whereas you wanted the hook to be ready to flip over the stitches. Good, I won't need to try so hard then.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I really like the top right hat. Can you tell me what combination of stitches you used on it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the hats were made with combinations of e-wrap and purl stitched. That is all I knew at the time! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. The top hat what is the brim made out of..ive dont tbe stitch before but dont member which it is..thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristie, I believe the brim is alternating rows of Ewrap and Purl. E-wrap the first row, purl the second etc. It is called the garter stitch (I'm pretty sure).

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen, I just started loom knitting and really like your men's hat designs. What yarn did you use for the hat in the first pic? Was this a self-striping yarn and what is your method for cutting in a new color of yarn? Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen, I'm new to loom knitting and I really like your men's hat designs. Can you tell me what kind of yarn you used in the first photo? Is it self-striping? What is your preferred method to cut in a new color yarn in your work? Is there a favorite you tube or website you go to for instruction? Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ... thanks for the comment! I am not sure of the yarn I used - when I started loom knitting I was a bit crazed, and grabbed a fair bit of yarn. Then when the urge to make something hit, I could 'shop' my stash without having to drive to the craft store to buy yarn. I can tell you it was probably from Michaels. 99% of my yarn purchases come from Michaels. You are correct, it was self striping. There are lots of fun websites out there for Loom Knitting ... here is one for you: http://www.loomahat.com

      Delete