Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fancy Short Poncho - WIP

It's Wednesday, which means it's the day to share our looming Works In Progress.  I had trouble getting going on this one ...

I started with the Knifty Knitter yellow loom and my yarn (Boutique Magical, colour Hocus Pocus)


But once I got knitting, I felt it was a little too 'loose'.


I frogged it and tried again, using two strands of yarn - one solid to coordinate with the Boutique:


But then I thought it was too heavy - and wouldn't have any drape. It would be fine for a cowl or hat or blanket type piece - but not for a poncho. Plus, I was looking for something dressy and light. With drape.


I frogged that one too, and decided to try my largest CinDWood hat loom (59 pegs, 1/2" gauge)


I liked it much better so have been working away on it. I'm almost to the end of my 2nd skein and will need at least half of the third.  Now I feel like I should have maybe stayed with my first choice - the yellow Knifty Knitter loom although with the stitches being so loose it would probably catch on things.

I'm using Lisa Sawyers "Waves Of Lace" stitch pattern and it's really coming along! I love the colour  and texture changes in this yarn!



Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, if I purchase Lisa Sawyer's "waves of lace" shawl pattern that will teach me the stitch but you didn't follow the same shawl pattern for this short poncho did you? Do you also have a pattern I can buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry for the late response. We were in Hawaii when this email notification came in and I must have completely missed it. You are correct, I didn't use Lisa Sawyers shawl pattern, just the stitch sequence for the poncho. If you check out this link, it will show you how I make these ponchos. http://www.knittingwithlooms.blogspot.com/2013/08/moms-short-poncho.html

      Delete