Sunday, December 23, 2012

My Black Hat

I thought I'd share the project that's presently on my loom. I am following Brenda Meyers "Lacy Scarflett" pattern and using up the skein of yarn that I used for my slouchy hat (see previous post). I love the little bit of sparkle in the yarn, and I'm such a huge fan of this pattern and mock crochet stitch for the loom.

I'm using my CinDWood adult hat loom (1/2" gauge) and only 1 strand of the yarn, so made it 20 pegs wide instead of the 16 that the pattern calls for. It's still a bit on the narrow side, but I think it will work out OK.


It's such a busy time of year, I am only adding a row here and there as time allows. It's so nice not to have a deadline looming! I hope to be more organized with my loom knit gifts next Christmas and will make my list and work on projects throughout the year. That being said, I'm just itching to make up a stroller blanket to have on hand for a baby gift. Not that there are any new grandbabies on the horizon ... for now ...

Onto my hat! I stumbled onto the purple Knifty Knitter loom awhile back, and since I'd heard that it was a smaller gauge than the set KK of looms - I picked it up. You can't have too many looms, right? :-) I wanted to try it out with a hat for myself.  (See THIS post for the beginning of the project).


The hat is nice and warm around the ears because of the wide doubled brim, & there is a bit of sparkle in the yarn. I like that it isn't just a 'flat' black hat. And it goes well with my black winter jacket.  I do find it a bit looser using that loom though, than the 3rd largest Knifty Knitter I usually use for ladies hats.


The brim was knit with the garter stitch (1 row e-wrap, 1 row purl), the I switched to the e-wrap to give the brim a nice, smooth place to rest when turned up. After that I switched to the lacy diamond stitch.


I also find it helpful to do a row of single crochet around the bottom of the hat. I turn up the brim and crochet right at the fold line. That keeps the brim turned up where it's supposed to go - otherwise it sort of shifts around and you have to adjust it when you put it on. This way - you just slip it on and go!

I wanted to wish all of my blog friends and visitors a very Merry Christmas, or Best Wishes for however you celebrate this season.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment