Thursday, December 20, 2012

First Slouch Hat

I did it - I made my first slouch hat:


Now my model's head is smaller than an an adults head, so it does look a little big and droopy - and I had to roll the brim back for the photographs. But it's kind of neat and I'm looking forward to wearing it!  And of course, I'm hunting for some different loom knitting patterns for slouch hats as well - this one I just sort of did off the top of my head.


 I did a simple ribbing band (ewrap one row, purl the next, etc). Then I just did a drop stitch pattern for the rest of the hat. I did reduce the stitches on the last row so it didn't pucker when I gathered it up - and now that it's finished I would change things a little.  I would do a purl row at the end, so there was a bit of a pattern around the gathering, and I don't think I would use the drop stitch pattern again. I don't think there will be much warmth here - it will be more for a 'bad hair day'.  :-)


The yarn (Red Heart Boutique in Midnight) has a bit of a sparkle to it, which is kind of fun. I had two skeins of it in my yarn stash and this hat used up most of the first one. I have another project in mind to loom knit with the rest of this yarn to put away for a gift. 

There are two loom knit patterns I'm looking at for the next slouch hat ... one by Isela Phelps, and one by Renee Van Hoy.  After the holidays, ha ha.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment