Saturday, December 15, 2012

Finished Lap Afghan

I did it!  I finished the lap afghan I was loom knitting my Dad for Christmas and it turned out exactly as I hoped it would. I can't wait to see his face when he opens it and sees that I made it for him -- he will be so touched.


I added a single crochet border all around the edge, then did a zig-zag stitch to finish it off. I even blocked it!  Well, using the term loosly ha ha. But I saw a show where the lady suggested steaming acrylic knit pieces (just don't let the hot plate touch the knitting) so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  I put a clean sheet across our bed. Not that it mattered, really, there is so much dog hair knit right into the afghan that it has become a feature of the piece.  Kidding, but ... I was plucking dog hair our of it. With three dogs - dog hair is a way of life around here.

Anyhow - I pinned half the afghan (the half I could reach) to the bed and steamed it.  After it had cooled and dried I just did the same thing to the other side.  It came out beautifully.


My Dad has arthritis and Parkinson's, and has pretty much lost most of his fine motor skills. Also, he is really fussy about anything heavy on his legs ... but he is often chilly. This is such a nice lightweight blanket, and since it is smaller than most afghans - the extra weight of any blanket hanging down won't be a factor.


Now I wish I'd taken a picture with the ribbing going vertically ...

I folded the lap blanket in half, then gently rolled it up. It was tied off with a nice masculine ribbon in brown &  cream and I added a tag to the ribbon telling him that it was a loom knit piece made especially for him. As I said, I can't wait to see him open the gift bag.  :-)

*** EDITED TO ADD: I forgot to measure the lap afghan before wrapping it and putting it under the Christmas tree, so I did that after Dad opened it. It is approximately 41 x 41", including the crochet border. And he loved it!!  ***

I thought I'd be so happy that the lap afghan was finished and off my looms that I'd want a rest from looming. But no - my looms and yarn stash are calling to me so I have to decide what to start next!

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment