Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ethan's Bonnet

This is what I was working on in my last post - a knit bonnet for Ethan! 



I used Renee Van Hoy's pattern "Baby's Sweet Bonnet" and the All In One Loom. The bonnet turned out SO sweet, and I couldn't wait to try it on him. However - little Ethan's head is on the 90th percentile and the hat is too small for him. It goes on, but doesn't fit well enough to get him through the winter.


It occurs to me, that nothing I have made on the All In One Loom has turned out the way it's supposed to! I made a bonnet for Olivia from a pattern their website - and it ended up being large enough to fit her dad (who is over 6' tall!!). I tried to make a candy corn Halloween treat bag and I ended up frogging the whole thing. But you know what? I LOVE that loom. I love how smooth the pegs are and how easy it is to knit. and I love being able to use a worsted weight yarn instead of a bulky or super bulky yarn. And I love how even the stitches are - it could easily be my favourite loom. And one of these days I'll make something that turns out the way it's supposed to!


I thought I'd try making the bonnet again, using a slightly larger loom - and see if the size works better. And I would like to make a couple of these - in pink and in blue - to keep on hand for new baby gifts as they would fit a newborn perfectly. No way I'm giving up on this pattern.


Thanks for stopping by.

**Note, at this point I am not going to move my loom knit projects from Altered Scrapbooking over to this blog. If you are curious, look to the labels on the right side of that blog and you can click on Loom Knitting, or Knifty Knitter to see those projects. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen, Just saw this post, and I'm so sorry the hat is too small, because it is just lovely. I had a 90% baby, too:) If you let me know how much larger you need it, I can give you a peg count for the all-in-one. Or, you can try it as is on a 1/2 inch loom, maybe slightly thicker (Aran) weight yarn for the winter.

    ReplyDelete