Saturday, October 20, 2012

Sweater (Vest) is Finished!

It was just over a year ago that I purchased Denise Layman's 'Swing Jacket' pattern from her site 'Knitting Without Needles'. I don't know why it took me so long to get it finished, as the pattern was well written, easy to follow - and worked up quickly. I think it was because loom knitting was still so new to me and shortly after starting the sweater I decided to loom knit everyone in my family a hat for Christmas. Then I started my Dad's lap afghan (another story), and it took until this September to pick up that loom again and resume loom knitting the sweater.

Earlier, I posted about not liking the cap sleeves and wanting to make it into a vest instead, so last night I carefully cut apart the seams and re-did it as a vest.


I'm so happy with it!  It is warm and cozy, and because of all the different colours it will go with so many tops in my closet. I'm wearing it today with the 3/4 sleeve black tee shown in the photo.  :-)   It's only 1 degree (34 degrees F) outside so cozy is just what is needed today.

Here is a peek at the back:


Now I see why 'Homespun' yarn is such a big seller - I love the beautiful variations in colour, and it's so soft!  Not the easiest to loom knit, but oh - the finished project is worth it.

The only thing I didn't like was how 'loose' the back was - and that has more to do with my shape than anything else. So I did a Single Crochet border all around the outside edges, and the arm holes too. Between the two back shoulder seams, I crochet into every 2nd stitch instead of every stitch on the sweater binding, and then did a 2nd row in that same area. On that second row - I skipped every 3rd or 4th stitch. That brought it in enough to make me happy and you can't tell that there is a 2nd row on that one area. 


Would I make this again? YES!  I bought some yarn to make one for my Mom for Christmas, but now that mine is finished I don't think this would work for her (our shape thing again). But I think this pattern is definitely a keeper!

If these hot flashes ever stop, maybe I'd even add sleeves another time and make it as a sweater!

Thanks for stopping by.




3 comments:

  1. Hi there, this vest is so great! I was wondering if you could direct me to where I could find the pattern? Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katy - the link for Denise's site is in my post, but here you go - I went to her site and clicked on patterns.
      http://www.knitchat.com/pattern-gallery-2/
      I made the vest from her Swing Jacket pattern as once I got the sleeves on it I didn't like it. But I did like it as a vest!
      Hope that helps.
      Cheers, Karen

      Delete
  2. It looks very nice. Indeed one of these.

    ReplyDelete