Saturday, September 29, 2012

Striped Scarf

Last Spring, we rented a (fabulous) house in Arizona and spent a month there. A MONTH! We had never gone away for more than two weeks, and normally it's no more than 10 days. So a whole month was really new to us. We loaded up the 3 dogs, and did the three day drive to Mesa.  I also took some things to do, since I wouldn't be able to do any papercrafts while away.

The Martha Stewart Loom seemed like a good idea to bring, since it comes apart and stores flat ... and while enjoying the peace & quiet I sat in the shade and loom knit a scarf. Yes, I appreciate the irony of sitting in sunny Arizona and looming something for wintery Alberta.


One of my favourite stitches it the Seed Stitch, or Moss Stitch.  For this scarf I used a Double Seed Stitch. (Row 1 - knit, purl, knit & repeat across.  Row 2 - repeat row one.  Rows 3 and 4, purl, knit, purl  & repeat across.  Repeat rows 1 - 4 til finished).


I used a sock weight yarn for the first time, which is 'self-striping'. Also, for the first time I slipped the first stitch on every row - and LOVE the nice finished edge you get. A keeper technique  :-)

 Below you can see how I set up the loom:


I managed to finish the scarf in the time I was there (ha ha, there was LOTS of quiet time) and will enjoy wearing it when the cooler weather hits here in Alberta.  You can see Jasper in the top photo below.



Because of the yarn chosen, the scarf is quite light! I think I really like working with sock weight yarn, and you sure get a lot of 'bang for your buck' with a skein of that! I have lots leftover for another project.

Thanks for stopping by.




1 comment:

  1. I just got the MS loom. I'm not sure how to feel about it quite yet. It seems like the pegs are a bit wiggly. I'm excited about all the configurations though. Have you done any other projects on yours?

    ReplyDelete