Monday, September 17, 2012

Finished Baby Boy Stroller Blanket

I finished the stroller blanket last night, and I couldn't be happier with it!


The finished size is approx 23" wide by 26" long, including the crochet border. I did 3 rows of single crochet around the outside edges once it was cast off the loom, then crochet a scallopy border as well. I really think the borders were necessary, although another time I would try to knit a stockinette or seed stitch border right onto the blanket then crochet the scallop edge afterwards. Not on this size loom though, as the blanket is JUST big enough.

I was a little concerned about the pattern stitch when I started. See the big gap in the photo below? Where the unwrapped peg is? I thought it was such a big, loose gap that a baby could get fingers or toes tangled in it.


I'm so glad I continued on though, as in the photo below - you can see how much that gap closes and the knitting gets longer and further from the loom.


Here is a close-up of the corner, showing the 3 rows of single crochet and the crochet border too. I think I will loom knit a little hat to go with this, but even without the hat - this stroller blanket is a gift I am very proud to give. (And I even like the 'wrong' side, now that it is all finished!!)


I will have to wait a little to knit the hat though. One of the reasons I don't needle knit or crochet is because it really hurts my 'tennis elbow'. With adding all that crochet on the border, my arm is quite sore today. 

Thanks for stopping by.

**Note, at this point I am not going to move my loom knit projects from Altered Scrapbooking over to this blog. If you are curious, look to the labels on the right side of that blog and you can click on Loom Knitting, or Knifty Knitter to see those projects. 

20 comments:

  1. do you only do one skein of yarn at a time? How many skeins for finished product?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Connie!
    Yes, I only used one strand at a time - you can see the beginning of the project at this post:
    http://knittingwithlooms.blogspot.ca/2012/09/baby-boy-stroller-blanket-beginning.html
    I believe I used 3 skeins, as I found the crochet border took a lot of the yarn. I want to make another couple of these to have on hand for baby gifts, and I will buy 3 skeins for them.
    Hope this helps!
    Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy - I went to respond to your comment and deleted it in error. I'm so sorry! I like a crochet border on a Loom Knit blanket. I start with a single crochet all the way around to give it a nice finish, then quite often I do a 'shell stitch' border. You can Google 'crochet shell stitch', or even search for crochet borders. There are lots of free patterns out there. Good luck with your loomed baby blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if my last post posted or not...So I'm going to put it back up...I love that this blanket is so cute and at the same time easy. Do you have to crochet a border? I'm new at loom knitting (or any kind of knitting) and I can't crochet at all. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to post this...it gives me hope I can finish this before my grandbaby gets here so she can have a hug from grandma all the time. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi - so happy you like the blanket. Isn't it nice to be able to make things for our sweet Grands? I like a crochet border on a Loom Knit blanket. I start with a single crochet all the way around to give it a nice finish, then quite often I do a 'shell stitch' border. You can Google 'crochet shell stitch', or even search for crochet borders. There are lots of free patterns out there. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  5. Hi where can I find the pattern? It's lovely 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria ... there is no pattern for the blanket. I usually 'wing it' when I'm loom knitting. However, if you check the beginning post of the blanket, you will see the loom I used and the stitches. You will find it here: http://knittingwithlooms.blogspot.ca/2012/09/baby-boy-stroller-blanket-beginning.html
      Thank you so much for your comment!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is exciting that you made one - good for you! I used the 'standard' bind off - it's the only one I know. You may have to Google it, as I would be terrible at trying to explain it without my looms in front of me. I know you move a stitch to an empty peg as you go along, if that helps.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Sorry for the multiple postings and subsequent deleted postings. This is my first time commenting so was unaware of how this worked. I'm working on the bind off now. Thanks again!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read 2 post on this blanket, so where are the instructions, I have the Boye round and long looms, I've only got a couple weeks to get this done :) Verna-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Verna - if you read the previous comments, you would see where I posted the starting project. I don't offer instructions, but instead share general ideas. Please scroll through that post to see how I made the blanket, which works up quite quickly. By the way, I found your comment rather rude - you don't even bother to say you like the project, you just want something from me.

      Delete
  10. Hi I have a friend who has a round loom I think. She made tons of scarves for the homeless. She just goes downtown and gives them to folks on the street. I like the idea of it being fast and what a nice shower gift. I love your attitude and I see we could be good friends. God Bless and thanks for sharing. This is not the reason I got on this computer. Go figure. Have a great week carol from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice comment, Carol! (From one Canadian to another).

      Delete
  11. Are there any other kinds of stitching I could use for the infinity loom? Secondly, where can I find a instructional video? Third did you mark your loom for the type of stitch you are using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could certainly do a Google search for other stitches, and for video's as well. No, I don't believe I marked my loom (I use tiny coloured elastics as markers) for this project.

      Delete