Sunday, September 16, 2012

Baby Boy Stroller Blanket - the Beginning

Yay - I had time to do some loom knitting yesterday!!  Am I working on my sweater?  Sigh.

Am I working on a blanket for our Grandson, using the wool I chose for him in Arizona last Spring, and hauled all the way back to Canada?  Sigh.

A friend of our daughters bought him a BEAUTIFUL baby blanket, that was crochet out of the exact same wool. Since he doesn't need two ... I had all this lovely, soft, blue/green/yellow wool sitting in my stash. Enough to make Ethan dozens of hats, ha ha.

A co-worker of my husband welcomed a baby boy into their family, so I thought I'd use this special, oh-so-soft yarn and whip up a little stroller blanket as our gift to him. Do I follow a pattern and make a swatch so I know how big the blanket will turn out?  Sigh.


The yarn is a bulky (5) weight, so I didn't want to struggle with my small gauge baby afghan loom. Instead I pulled out this long green Knifty Knitter loom and all but three pegs are in use. I'm knitting it as a flat panel, not as a double knit piece.

Since I now have a notebook and keep track of such things, I knew to expect a fair amount of shrinkage using this stitch pattern. You can see how much in the photo above -- compare the ends of the loom to the cast-on edge!


I figured if turns out smaller than I intended (mostly due to the stitch pattern shrinkage) - I can always crochet a wide border. Or loom knit a border and attach that to the blanket. I knew I had options, so I wasn't too concerned. But you do have to be aware of this!

You can see in the photo above, I e-wrap 3 pegs, skip one and e-wrap the next 3 - all the way across, around and back across the back side of the loom.



The upside to this stitch pattern? It's FAST. Really fast. You are basically e-wrapping and knitting over the whole thing. 

The down side? Other than the shrinkage, the cast-on edge rolls a little. Again, I wasn't concerned as I planned on added a crochet border - even just a single crochet all around to finish it off.  The other down side, is that there is an obvious right side - I don't think I like the look of the inside, but - we will see how I feel once the blanket is completed.

When I'm done this, I'm going to make Ethan a hat using 'his' wool.  :-)

**Note, at this point I am not going to move my loom knit projects from Altered Scrapbooking over to this blog. If you are curious, look to the labels on the right side of that blog and you can click on Loom Knitting, or Knifty Knitter to see those projects. 

Thanks for stopping by.

12 comments:

  1. Ok..It's official. I'm stalking your page. You have so many cool items. Sorry :)

    Ok so on this one did you you just work this as a flat panel? I guess what I really want to know is did you just work around the square loom like a round loom but went back and forth like working a flat panel? Did that make since.

    I'm assuming when you take it off the loom you unfold it and it makes the length of the blanket.

    Ok...that's it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...so if I would have read every word I would have found the answer to my question. I had no idea you could use the long looms like this. Thank you for a new eye opener.

    I still have yet mastered how to use the long looms. It seem so confusing for some reason so I just stick with my round ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri - using the long looms is just the same as the round ones! You can make flat panels as well as knitting in the round. I'm thing of using one of these long ones to make a bag ... since the shape is perfect.
    Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO cool. I am going to try it making different colored squares and sew them together to make a patchwork quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I know its almost a year since you posted this, but I just found it in a search for a baby afghan pattern. If you don't mind I would love to ask a few questions about your pattern. Did you cast on with an e wrap? Did adding a crochet trim get rid of all the curling that usually happens with e wrap pieces? Thank you , its really quite a pretty piece and the nicest one I have found in searching so far for a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Lorri - thanks for the questions and comments! I did cast on with an e-wrap. I don't usually like the edge on an e-wrapped piece but since I knew I would add a crochet border it was OK. Also, it was the easiest cast on considering I was skipping a peg after every 3 e-wraps. You have to do this right at the cast on step in order for this to work.
    YES, the crochet border eliminated the curling on all the edges. I have done this stitch sequence adding a moss stitch/seed stitch border on each of the side edges, which eliminates curling there - but then the bottom and top would curl. So a crochet border helped in all those instances.
    Let me know if you have other questions, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Question. Do you e-wrap the side peg as well before going to the back side?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ashley - I'm not sure I understand the question. You would e-wrap 3 pegs and skip one all the way down one side, around the 'corner' using the end peg as well, then turn the loom and go back up the other side. I used all but three of the pegs (the last three pegs - including the last end peg).
    Hope this helps!
    Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok. Thanks. I think i done it right. I hope. Do you have a small video on how you done it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley - no, I don't have a video. You could do a search on YouTube though, as I'm pretty sure 'Mikey' did a shawl and/or an afghan using this stitch sequence (e-wrap 3 pegs, skip one). Even though they are older, he has lots of great looming video's.
      Cheers,
      Karen

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete