Friday, August 31, 2012

Newborn Baby Hat

It's amazing what happens when you become a Grandmother. Or at least what happened to me. I wanted to make our Granddaughter something, something with my own hands. I know how to needle knit, and crochet - but I suffer from what doctors call Chronic Tennis Elbow. (I call it Artist Elbow). Whatever the name,  it has prevented me from picking up knitting needles or crocheting anything more than little flowers to add to the occasional card.

One summer day in 2011, I was browsing around in Michaels. It was completely deserted in there - I think I was the only customer in the place. It was almost eerie! However, I decided to take advantage of the peace & quiet, and finally wandered over to the knitting isle. I thought I'd poke around and see if there were any artsy yarns that I could use for tag toppers etc with my papercrafting.

Well!  I saw the looms, and the book Loom Knitting Primer by Isela Phelps and all I could think of was making something for little Olivia. Knitting something! 

Like many people I started loom knitting by making hats and this is the first one I shared on my other blog (see THIS post) in August 2011.

I used the blue Knifty Knitter loom - the smallest one in the set for this sweet item. The whole hat was e-wrapped, and to keep the brim from rolling I knit the brim double the length I wanted it to be. Then I brought the cast-on edge back up through the center of the loom, lined up the stitches and put the cast on stitches onto the coordinating peg. Once those are knit over, you have a nice double knit brim - no sewing and no edges rolling!  There are many video's on You Tube on how to do this if you need more information.


I used an unbelievably soft yarn that was in my stash for tag toppers, held together with some pink baby yarn I picked up. The hat was small, but perfect for a brand new baby girl (my daughters friend had a baby that I wanted to give a gift to).


To finish it off, I crochet a loopy flower and stitched it to the hat with a pink sparkly button from my stash. I wish I'd made a note of the flower pattern and or the site I got it from, because I'd like to make more of them.

If you would like to see the matching card and how I wrapped up the hat, feel free to check out THIS blog post from my blog Altered Scrapbooking.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. I learned to crochet as a little girl from my mom, and taught myself needle knitting in my 20s when my nephew was born because the best gift I ever got was a blanket my best friend made my son. She learned to crochet just so she could make that blanket. But lupus, RA (rheumatoid arthritis), & cutaneous vasculitis forced me to stop knitting, along with many other things. Until... my sister in law announced a bun in the oven, and the first girl of three grandsons on both sides of our family. Determination had me researching looms for some way to make a special gift. I can relate completely to your desire to make something with your own hands when it's expected & acceptable to just buy instead. Since learning to loom knit, yours have been some of my favorite project inspirations. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned to crochet as a little girl from my mom, and taught myself needle knitting in my 20s when my nephew was born because the best gift I ever got was a blanket my best friend made my son. She learned to crochet just so she could make that blanket. But lupus, RA (rheumatoid arthritis), & cutaneous vasculitis forced me to stop knitting, along with many other things. Until... my sister in law announced a bun in the oven, and the first girl of three grandsons on both sides of our family. Determination had me researching looms for some way to make a special gift. I can relate completely to your desire to make something with your own hands when it's expected & acceptable to just buy instead. Since learning to loom knit, yours have been some of my favorite project inspirations. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment! I also suffer with RA, and Sjogrens. I was in rough shape for months, but am now feeling much better with more mobility. I am looking forward to starting a new project SOON!

      Delete